Friday, May 1, 2009

Fun With Word Search

By OH TEIK THEAM


LET us have some fun with a word search exercise. Unscramble the eight sets of italicised letters in the story below to complete it.

The Stag at the Brook

A stag saw his form reflected in the water while he was drinking by a brook. “Just look at my antlers,” he said moedimtsly (1) to himself. “They are beautiful branches and moefablidr (2) ones to boot.”

After a while, he shook his head in dismay and continued, “But my slender legs are so unsightly. If only they could be as beautiful as my horns!”

When he had quenched his thirst, he espied a huntsman and a pack of hounds. “They will soon close in on me,” he warned himself.

The stag quickly bounded away over the moewads (3), outdistancing the dangerous hounds. He eventually entered a thick wood, but he was unlucky enough to get his antlers entangled in a thicket. Unable to moev (4), he felt frightened.

Rueing his moefistrun (5), the stag groaned, “I don’t have the slightest chance of escaping from my pursuers. My antlers, which I had been so proud of, have moeceb (6) my undoing. They are of no moepartcin (7) to me now. I am moeodd (8) to die!”

(Adapted from a fable by Aesop)

Answers

1. immodestly 2. formidable 3. meadows 4. move 5. misfortune 6. become 7. importance 8. doomed

No comments: